Just to test your inner sportsman, we have assembled for you some sports quiz questions. Everyone has a favorite sport to watch, from hockey to football, but how well do you understand the details of the sporting world? This vast collection of basic sports trivia questions and answers will put your knowledge to the test, whether you are a beginner or a versed sports fan.
These modern sports trivia questions and answers, address a wide range of topics, from simple to difficult that even the most diehard fans may now know. They’re also organized into several sports quiz questions categories.
With these sports quiz questions and answers, challenge your family and friends to a trivia game night, and see their emerging desire to compete. Whether you get all of the right answers or not, your trivia night will undoubtedly be a big play, a smart move, a kickoff, or whatever you choose to call it!
Best Sports Quiz Questions
This segment will incite your intelligence for sports and best sports quiz questions will leave you known to the lesser available facts. Go and give your family a big time while playing sports trivia questions and answers.
This section contains the good sports quiz questions for people of all ages, young, children or old. These sport trivia questions and answers are stimulating to play with the kids, your family or friends or even your students.
1. Which country has recently amended its citizenship laws to attract individuals with specialized skills?
2. Which country won the gold medal in women’s handball at the 2016 Summer Olympics?
3. Who is the “Most Valuable Player (MVP)” in the men’s volleyball tournament at the 2016 Summer Olympics?
Answer: Sergio Santos.
4. Which female archer was the world record holder from 2004 to 2015 for the women’s 72-arrow round?
Answer: Park Sung-hyun.
5. Where is the next Olympic Games set to take place?
6. After retiring from professional cycling, what other sport did Bradley Wiggins briefly attempt to make a career in?
7. Before Andy Murray, who was the last British tennis player to win a men’s singles Grand Slam tournament?
Answer: Fred Perry.
8. Which 2012 Olympic event recorded record crowd noises of 114 decibels?
Answer: Irish boxer Katie Taylor’s victory over British contender Natasha Jonas in the semi-finals.
9. The Los Angeles Lakers and New York Knicks play which sport?
10. Which England footballer was famously never given a yellow card?
Answer: Gary Lineker.
11. What sport is best known as the ‘king of sports’?
12. Which sport involves tucks and pikes?
14. In which sport do competitors refer to ‘catching a crab’?
15. In which sport is 180 deemed a perfect score?
Answer: hand rounders.
16. At which Olympics did Kelly Holmes win two gold medals?
17. How many balls are in total are there on the table at the start of a game of snooker?
18. In rugby union, who is England Men’s all-time top try scorer?
Answer: Rory Underwood.
19. Question: How many players are on a baseball team?
Answer: 9 players.
29. In football, how many points does a touchdown hold?
Answer: 6 points.
30. What’s the national sport of Canada?
31. What sport is a lot like softball?
32. In what game is “love” a score?
33. How long is a marathon?
Answer: 26.2 miles.
34. What color are the goalposts in football?
35. How many holes are played in an average round of golf?
36. In motor racing, what color is the flag they wave to indicate the winner?
Answer: Checkered flag.
37. What does NBA stand for?
Answer: National Basketball Association.
38. How many dimples does an average golf ball have?
39. Which golf tournament did Tiger Woods win by 12 strokes cementing his first-ever major championship win?
Answer: The Masters.
40. The terms ‘stale fish’ and ‘mulekick’ are commonly used in what sport?
41. What country has competed the most times in the Summer Olympics yet hasn’t won any kind of medal?
42. What do you call it when a bowler makes three strikes in a row?
43. In the 1971 Olympics, Nadia Comaneci was the first gymnast to score a perfect score. What country was she representing?
44. The Triple Crown award is given to a horse that wins which three races?
Answer: The Kentucky Derby, Preakness Stakes, and Belmont Stakes.
General Sports Quiz Questions
This segment contains general sports trivia questions and answers. These questions cover all types of sports and the most asked queries about them. Regardless of any discrimination, you can ask these questions from anyone.
1. The Olympics are held every how many years?
Answer: 4 years.
2. What wide receiver caused a sensation during his rookie season with a one-handed catch?
Answer: Odell Beckham Jr.
3. What team won 3 Super Bowls in the 1990s?
Answer: The Dallas Cowboys.
4. Which team has the record of scoring the most points in a single Super Bowl?
Answer: The San Francisco 49ers.
5. What team won the first-ever football game played at night?
Answer: Philadelphia Athletics.
6. What team is considered the oldest in the NFL?
Answer: Green Bay Packers.
7. Which NFL team has their logo located on only one side of their helmets?
Answer: Pittsburgh Steelers.
8. What NFL team lost the first Super Bowl in 1970?
Answer: Minnesota Vikings.
9. This player was the first-ever openly gay person to be drafted by an NFL team. What was his name?
Answer: Michael Sam.
10. How much does an NFL football weigh?
Answer: 1 pound.
11. What is the only team in the NFL to neither host nor play in the Super Bowl?
Answer: Cleveland Browns.
12. Question: How many rings are there on the Olympic flag?
13. What sport starts with a tip-off or jump ball?
14. When an Olympic athlete wins first place, what color medal do they get?
15. What measurement measures how far runners run?
16. Where did the first ancient Olympic games take place?
17. In football, where do you have to go in order to score a touchdown?
Answer: The end zone.
18. Which NFL team has a lightning bolt on the players’ helmet?
Answer: Los Angeles Chargers.
19. Which MLB player was better known as “The Bambino”?
Answer: Babe Ruth.
20. In baseball, how many strikes does it take before the umpire calls out?
21. What retired basketball player tried out for the Chicago White Sox in 1994?
Answer: Michael Jordan.
22. What team does LeBron James play for?
Answer: Los Angeles Lakers.
23. What team has the most NBA titles?
Answer: Boston Celtics.
24. What was the first city to host the Olympics twice?
25. What is the very center of a target called in archery or darts?
26. What sport is called the “sport of kings”?
27. What do the rings in the Olympics represent?
Answer: The continents of the world.
28. What are the Minnesota Twins named after?
Answer: The Twin Cities.
29. What was the fastest goal in World Cup history?
Answer: 10.8 seconds.
30. Who won the first two FIFA Women’s World Player of the Year Awards?
Answer: Mia Hamm.
31. Which type of football is another term for soccer?
Answer: Association football.
32. Which country won the first women’s World Cup?
Answer: The United States.
33. Who was the first British player to win league titles in four countries?
Answer: David Beckham.
34. How old was the youngest professional soccer player?
35. What is a soccer field called?
Answer: A pitch.
36. What is the record for red cards given in a single soccer game?
37. What is the most stolen base?
Answer: Second base.
This section includes some easy sports trivia questions and answers that are pretty easy to get the answers of. These easy sports trivia questions will give the heads a rest like a warmup before starting with the hard and tricky questions.
1 Who is the present chairman of International Olympic Committee (IOC)?
Answer: Thomas Bach.
2. Which animal represent as the mascot in New Delhi Asian Games, 1982?
3. In the game snooker, what is the highest possible break that a player can get?
4. What was banned in basketball from 1967 to 1976?
Answer: The slam dunk.
5. How many Olympic games were held in countries that no longer exist?
6. How many medals did China win at the Beijing Olympics in 2008?
7. During the first ever modern Olympics, what were the first placers awarded with?
Answer: Silver medals.
8. How many minutes was the longest recorded point in the history of tennis?
Answer: 29 minutes.
9. What country has competed the most times in the summer Olympics without winning a gold medal?
Answer: The Philippines.
10. How many total minutes of action are there in an average baseball game?
Answer: 18 minutes.
11. What team gets the advantage of first bat in baseball?
Answer: The visiting team.
12. What African country was the first ever to qualify for a World Cup?
13. What number is next (right) to the number ‘20’ on a standard British dart board?
14. A sporting event is held every year on Memorial Day. What is it?
Answer: Indianapolis 500.
15. Who was the first ever athlete to fail a drug test for the Olympics?
Answer: Hans-Gunnar Liljenwall.
16. What sport is played on the biggest pitch if considered from the perspective of surface area?
17. In professional basketball, how high is the basketball hoop from the ground?
Answer: 10 feet.
18. How big is an Olympic sized swimming pool in meters?
Answer: 50 meters long and 25 meters wide.
19. How many winning racers has the UK produced?
Answer: 10 winning racers.
20. Between the Williams sisters, who has won more grand slam titles, Venus or Serena?
Answer: Serena Williams.
21. The 1980 film named ‘Raging Bull’, was about which real life boxer?
Answer: Jake Lamotta.
22. How many championships did the Chicago Bulls win with Michael Jordan on their team?
23. Who won the first ever World Series in Baseball in the 50’s?
Answer: New York Yankees.
24. In 1988, this athlete was crowned the world acrobatic champion. Who is he?
Answer: Henry Haigh.
25. What country was the first ever World Athletics Championship held?
26. Who was the first athlete to win the Sports Illustrated Sportsman of the Year award twice?
Answer: Tiger Woods.
This segment includes some hard sports trivia questions and answers that might give them a tough time to answer but eventually would be in their favor as they will be then known to such hard sports trivia questions.
1. Stephen Curry’s father played professional basketball for what team towards the end of his career?
Answer: Toronto Raptors.
2. Kyrie Irving was born in what country?
3. How many seasons did Michael Jordan play with the Chicago Bulls before going back into the game with the Wizards?
Answer: 13 seasons.
4. We all know Dr. J, but what is his real name?
Answer: Julius Erving.
5. Wladimir Klitschko is a champion boxer from which country?
6. Which former rugby player once called the English RFU committee ‘Old Farts’?
Answer: Will Carling.
7. Who won The World Highland Games Championships a record six times?
Answer: Geoff Capes.
8. The Sochi Autodrom is home to which country’s Grand Prix?
9. Which jockey won the Investec Derby in 2015 on Golden Horn?
Answer: Table tennis.
10. Jan-Ove Waldner, Zhang Jike and Deng Yaping have been notable players in which sport?
Answer: Frankie Dettori.
11. Who won the men’s single at Wimbledon in 1985 at the age of just 17?
Answer: Boris Becker.
12. In which athletic event did Bruce Jenner win the gold medal in the 1976 Summer Olympics?
Answer: The Decathlon.
13. Sixways Stadium is the home ground of which English Premiership rugby union team?
Answer: Worcester Warriors.
14. In American Football which famous Miami Dolphins quarterback retired in 2000?
Answer: Dan Marino.
15. The Eclipse Stakes is run at which racecourse?
16. The San Siro Stadium is in which Italian city?
17. Which 100/1 outsider won the 2009 Grand National?
Answer: Mon Mome.
18. In cricket, how many matches generally make up an Ashes Test series?
19. In golf, over how many holes is the Open Championship contested?
20. Name the European club David Beckham ended his career with?
Answer: Paris Saint-Germain.
21. In 1971, what team did Kevin Keegan joined Liverpool from?
Answer: Scunthorpe United.
22. What nationality is tennis player Novak Djokovic?
23. In horse racing, which is the last of the five classics to be run each year, and its distance is also the longest?
Answer: Wayne Rooney.
24. In golf, who won won his first major at the Masters in 2015 and also won the 2015 U.S. Open?
Answer: Jordan Spieth.
25. In the 1995–96 season, who scored 114 goals in 29 games for Everton’s under-10s and 11s?
Answer: Wayne Rooney.
This section contains some really funny sports quiz questions that will make them burst into giggles and these sports trivia questions would be enthralling to children specifically and their answers would amuse you.
1. What sport has various versions of the rules such as Skins, Bingo Bango Bongo, and Stableford?
2. Where was it, in 1971, that Alan B. Shepard’s golf shot went for “miles and miles and miles”?
Answer: The moon.
3. What is the fictional sport played in the Harry Potter novels and films?
4. Mark Twain is commonly said to have described what sport as “A good walk, spoiled”?
5. Which sport has a finishing line that isn’t crossed?
6. What nickname is given to the New Zealand men’s basketball team?
Answer: Tall Blacks.
7. What is the first name of Phil and Gary Neville’s father?
8. Which US superstar said ‘I’ve never lost a game I just ran out of time’?
Answer: Michael Jordan.
9. Which Chicago Cubs player had to take time off due to a violent sneeze?
Answer: Sammy Sosa.
10. Which sport do the Pittsburgh Penguins play?
Answer: Ice Hockey.
11. “Pistol Pete” was the nickname given to which multiple Tennis Grand Slam titles winner?
Answer: Petros (Pete) Sampras.
12. What is the new name of the rugby league stadium previously called Langtree Park?
Answer: Totally Wicked Stadium.
13. Motown Muscle, Philadelphia Hitmen and Las Vegas High Rollers are all professional team names for which sport?
14. Bullman, Harry the Harbor Dog, and Daddy Cool are all mascots in which sport?
Answer: Rugby League.
Random Sports Quiz Questions
This segment includes some random sports quiz questions and answers that are easiest to answer and are the most known facts. These sports trivia questions will question their basic knowledge about sports.
1. Who became the first British team to win football’s European Cup in 1967?
2. Chankonabe is a protein rich pot dish regularly eaten by which sportsmen?
Answer: Sumo wrestlers.
3. Which Grand Slam tennis tournament is held at Flushing Meadows?
Answer: The US Open.
4. In which sport would you aim rocks at a house on ice?
5. On a darts board, what number is directly next to and left of the ’20’?
6. What is the maximum number of clubs a golfer can use in a single round?
7. What are the four types of stroke in swimming?
Answer: Freestyle (front crawl), Butterfly, Backstroke and Breaststroke.
8. What three types of swords are used in fencing competitions?
Answer: Sabre, foil and epee.
9. Who was the first boxer to defeat Muhammed Ali?
Answer: Joe Frazier.
10. How is soccer player Edson Arantes do Nascimento better known?
11. Which is the only American Football team to go a whole season undefeated, including the Super Bowl?
Answer: The Miami Dolphins, in 1972.
Hilarious Sports Quiz Questions
This section contains hilarious sports quiz questions and answers that will make them burst into laughter and giggles. These sports trivia questions will be so fun to ask most importantly for the younger ones.
1. How many knobs, switches, and buttons does a Formula One steering wheel have?
Answer: 35 buttons.
2. The first NHL All-Star game was held as a benefit for what injured star?
Answer: Ace Bailey.
3. What was the first NHL team to win back-to-back Stanley Cup titles?
Answer: Montreal Canadiens.
4. With which Formula 1 team do Lewis Hamilton and Jensen Button currently drive?
Answer: McLaren (Vodafone McLaren Mercedes in full.
5. Which chess piece can only move diagonally?
Answer: The Bishop.
6. How many pieces does a player have in Ludo?
7. Tick-tack-toe is an alternative name for which game?
Answer: Noughts and Crosses.
8. What colour belt are martial arts experts entitled to wear?
9. What is the most expensive property on a standard British monopoly board?
10. Ping-pong is an alternative name for which sport?
Answer: Table Tennis.
Sports Quiz Questions about Football
This segment will be covering football trivia questions and answers. These football trivia questions will question their loyalty and interest in goals whereas they will be known to much more about it, at the end.
1. Who was the first Premier League manager who was fired?
Answer: Ian Porterfield.
2. The original FA. Cup was stolen in which year?
3. Who was the first football player to complete playing hundreds of international matches?
Answer: Billy Wright.
4. What was the jersey color of team Manchester United before they adopted the red color?
Answer: Green and gold.
5. Nicky Byrne played for which club before finding his calling in music?
Answer: Leeds United.
6. After how many games did Cristiano Ronaldo score his first Champions League goal?
7. In which year for the first time 24 teams played in the European Championship?
8. When was the first European Championship held?
9. Goalkeeper David Seaman joined this team after leaving Arsenal.
Answer: Manchester City.
10. Who scored the first ever Premier League goal?
Answer: Brian Deane.
11. This club has won the most Champions League titles?
Answer: Real Madrid.
12. In 2012 when Lionel Messi became top scorer in the history of Barcelona’s, he broke the record of this player.
Answer: Cesar Rodriguez.
13. What was the total number of goals in 2016 Copa Centenario tournament?
14. Which football player has played the most number of World Cup Competitions?
Answer: Antonio Carbajal.
15. What was the name of the first World Cup trophy?
Answer: Jules Rimet Trophy.
Sports Quiz Questions about NBA
This section will be enlisting NBA trivia questions and answers. These questions will ask the general and foremost facts about NBA players and basketball. NBA being the heart of games, would give them a big time in answering these questions.
1. How many referee teams are used in the NBA?
Answer: The NBA always has three-man referee teams.
2. What are the three parts of a hoop?
Answer: The hoop has three basic pieces; the rim, the net and the backboard.
3. What is the standard floor dimensions for a North American basketball court?
Answer: 94 feet long by 50 feet wide.
4. How many NBA stadiums are there?
5. Who can call a timeout according to NBA rules?
Answer: Either a player in court or the head coach can call a time out and stop the game clock.
6. On what occasion will there be overtime?
Answer: An overtime will be played if there is a tie at the end of a regulation period.
7. What is the length of a quarter in an NBA game?
Answer: In an NBA game, a quarter lasts for 12 minutes.
8. How long does a collegiate basketball match run for?
Answer: A collegiate basketball contest would usually last for just 40 minutes.
9. How long does each contest in an NBA match last?
Answer: An NBA match lasts for 48 minutes, making it one of the lengthiest durations ever.
10. How many NBA franchises exist as of today?
11. How many players of the 15 players in a roster are active?
12. How many players does an NBA team have in its roster?
Sports Quiz Questions about Baseball
This section will be incorporating some baseball trivia questions and answers. Baseball being the national play of America, will test their knowledge of how much they are known to this regal play, since this game has a huge fan following too.
1. Which Baseball player was born in Osaka, Japan?
Answer: Hideo Nomo.
2. Who is the Baseball player also called ‘Pronk’?
Answer: Travis Hafner.
3. Which player was named the MVP of the 2014 National League Championship series?
Answer: Madison Bumgraner.
4. Which player has been named ‘Kung Fu Panda’?
Answer: Pablo Sandoval.
5. Name the movie made after the famous player Babe Ruth.
Answer: Headin’ Home.
6. Who holds the record for the most winnings in the Olympics?
7. Who is the oldest Baseball player?
Answer: Leroy Robert ‘Satchel’ Paige.
8. Where is the oldest baseball field in the world?
Answer: Labatt Park, London, Ontario, Canada.
9. Where did the game originate?
Answer: America and London.
10. When was the first professional baseball game aired on T.V.?
Answer: August 26, 1936.
11. How much does a Baseball weigh?
Answer: 5-5.25 ounces.
12. How many innings are in Baseball?
Sports Quiz Questions about NFL
This section will be addressing some NFL trivia questions and answers. Football fans are always seen excited while answering football trivia questions, being an American or not, NFL has a huge fan following across the globe and everyone could answer such questions.
1. Once the last play ends, how soon should the next play begin?
Answer: Within 40 seconds.
2. How many timeouts does each team get in every half?
3. Do all NFL teams switch ends after every quarter?
4. How many ways can the ball be advanced by a quarterback?
5. At which field position does the play begin?
Answer: At the line of scrimmage.
6. Which player generally runs with the football in an NFL game?
Answer: The running back.
7. Which NFL player generally catches the ball during a game?
Answer: The wide receiver.
8. Which player generally throws the football in an NFL game?
Answer: The quarterback.
9. How many points is a touchdown worth in an NFL game?
Answer: 6 points.
10. Where do the kickoffs usually take place?
Answer: At the 35-yard line.
11. Can a coach challenge an official’s judgment call in an NFL game?
12. What is the duration of halftime in the NFL?
Answer: 12 minutes.
Sports Quiz Questions for Adults
In this segment sports quiz questions for adults are enlisted. Here, will be questions about the games from early 70’s, 80’s and 90’s, which can be answered accurately by the adults while keeping their interest hooked.
Sports Quiz Questions for Kids
In this section sports quiz questions for kids are organized. Here, will be questions about the games from the late 21st century, which can be answered by the kids effortlessly, while making their interaction, vivid.
1. In the sport of cross-country biking, what do the letters BMX stand for?
Answer: Bicycle moto x.
2. What sport were women allowed to play in the Olympics for the first time?
3. What was the name of the US athlete to win three Olympic gold medals in the game volleyball?
Answer: Karch Kiraly.
4. The first ever soccer World Cup was won by what country?
5. Who was the last NHL player to leave the league without having used a helmet?
Answer: Craig McTavish.
6. What is the only country to have played in every single soccer World Cup?
7. What year was the first ever Wimbledon tournament held?
8. Who was the first and only wild card entry to have ever won Wimbledon?
Answer: Goran Ivanisevic in 2001.
9. What year did the players go on strike, resulting to no baseball World Series?
Sports Quiz Questions for Teens
This section will be containing sports quiz questions for teens. These questions will be about the games from the early 21st century till now and beyond as teens are found interested and excited about games of the era they are known to.
1. During which inning is “Take Me Out to the Ballgame” traditionally sung?
Answer: The 7th inning.
2. Who was the first baseball player to appear on a Wheaties box?
Answer: Lou Gehrig.
3. What female pitcher once struck out Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig?
Answer: Jackie Mitchell.
4. Who was the first NBA player to test positive for COVID-19?
Answer: Rudy Gobert.
5. What is the name of the fictitious Minor League Baseball team on The Simpsons?
Answer: The Springfield Isotopes.
6. Who was the first Major League player to pitch a ball over 100 mph?
Answer: Nolan Ryan.
7. Who was the first-ever NBA player to score 2,000 points in a single season?
Answer: George Yardly.
8. What are the two states in the United States that have yet to send a team to the NCAA?
Answer: Alaska and Maine.
9. Who was the first NBA player to shatter a backboard?
Answer: Chuck Connors.
In this section, we have assembled tips for choosing sports quiz questions. Sports are something everyone is excited and enthralled about regardless of the age, from an adult to a child, everyone has their fair share to give!
While assembling sports trivia questions here are some tips and advices you need to keep in mind in order to make it the most amusing sport trivia questions game. Trust us, they are going to be very helpful!
- You need to create a list of questions where there are plenty of random and general sports trivia questions apart from tricky and hard ones. Also, they would be easiest to answer and will maintain their interest.
- Fact checks!You would need to cross check your answers while assembling the sports trivia questions since there must not be any wrong answer from your side. As the answer would live in them forever and it must not be a wrong one!
- You can play sports trivia questions with kids and that would be no less than a show to watch since the spontaneous and honest reactions of kids are the whole mood changer for even themselves.
- Carry on this sports quiz questions game with your friends and family over a dinner or brunch or however the way you want. It would a great and a quality time you could spend with them.
As because of hectic and busy schedule nowadays, families and friends, hardly get to spend some time together.
- If you are a tutor or a teacher, you can easily distract your students’ boring day to a real amusing one by playing sports trivia questions game. These sports quiz questions game would be so exhilarating for your students and side by side a big bunch of knowledge about sports would be transferred to them.
Final Thoughts on Sports Quiz Questions
Sports trivia questions and answers, is an informative and exciting game to play with people of all ages; kids, teens, adults. This game will enlighten the need to know about sports and games like Football, NBA, NFL, Baseball etc.
People from all ages play or have played almost all sorts of games and they are very much aware of the facts, the rules and regulations, the famous players, the history of the respective game.
They might get along with this game like anything or might have a hard time in answering these sports quiz questions.
From random and general questions to hard and tricky questions, from funny to hilarious questions, sports quiz questions game will surely be the most exciting and the most informative rollercoaster ride for them to answer.
In almost all the circumstances you have to be polite and grounded while playing this game, since there might be a chance of minor riots over the correct answers.
Keep your answers ready and accurate at all times while playing this sport trivia questions game as the sports enthusiasts are mostly seen dramatic and emotional. Just play it the wisest and smartest way possible.